Category Archives: Meetings

Directors Meeting: 11/02/2019

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

Minutes of the directors meeting
Monday the 11th of February 2019
One apologies M Woodhams a Hustwayte b Penfold
chairman matters
4.1Picture framing two new picture frames purchase
4.2Curtain rail purchased but still to be put up
4.3 zero gas resolve £25.00 goodwill gesture was given
4.4 championship board still to do
4.5 club Secretary no offers
4.6 wobbly table still to do
Library
Two second-hand places book case purchase £70
7.1 nearly everybody has payed
7.2 budget an approx. surplus £1900 to date
8.1 amended basement flat agreement given premises officer. For signing by tenant
8.2 baseman rent
housing subcommittee to meet and give recommendation to full committee
8.3 repositioning meters agree
11 tournament Brendan Ruane claimed his game against Varley by walkover
Captains report
12.2.2 allegation concerning the loss of a pen apologies have been received from the club concern
And their match Captain chairman to write to the player concerned expressing disapproval of his comments and state that we will take no further action
12.3 MacArthur cup arranged
13 no new members
14 next meeting 11 March 2019
Meeting closed 19.35

Directors Meeting: 17/12/2018

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

Minutes of the directors meeting
Monday, 17 December 2018 1815 Richard almond room Pelton house

Present A Cload A. Hustwayte K. Lucas L Stewart J Wheeler in attendants S Blewitt M Woodhams

1.1 Mr. Bryant is re-elected unanimously as Chairman which was accepted Mr Bryant was invited to RE joined the committee and to take the Chair
1.2 Woodhams and Blewitt elected to the committee
1.3 Club Secretary the post is now vacant chairman to circulate membership Mr. Lucas leaves committee with committee’s thanks
1.4 Apologies: Bill Penfold

2 minutes of the meeting 5/11/18 – sign as accurate by the chairman

3 Mr. Kelly – this issue now resolved to committee’s satisfaction

4 Library
15 book donated from the estate of Lewis

5 chairman matters
5.1 Picture framing lot done more to do 2 more Picture frame to by purchase
5.2 Hastings’s library done
5.3 curtains three done two to do
5.4 Wobbly table still to be done
5.5 Utilities
Water 800-pound refund
5.5Electricn 3133 pound refunded
5.6 Repositioning meters still to go
5.7 championship board still to do
5.8 Council tax upstairs flat Refund f236 +100% exemption saving the club a total of over E613 pounds

6 Secretary’s report Enquiries up significantly following number change

7 Treasurers Report 3 members still to renew

8 Premises officer
annual gas test done all good fire extinguishers done

a.11 Tournament knockout sented for grading
a.12 Results see website

Directors Meeting: 05/11/2018

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

Minutes of the Directors Meeting

Monday 5th November 2018,  18.15,  Richard Almond Room, Pelton House

Present: M Bryant, A Cload, A Hustwayte, K Lucas, L Steuart, J Wheeler [6]

As all expected present the Meeting started at 1810.

1 Apologies for Absence : W Penfold

2 Minutes of the meeting  :  18‎ ‎Sep 2018 – accepted, signed by Chairman

3 Matters arising not already on the Agenda
3.1 P Kelly – MB expressed concerns about his relationships with PK.
£60 outstanding which PK wished to pay with £10/paint/brush – the Committee accepted reluctantly.

4 Library – £750 budgeted for book cases – MB to investigate possible good condition used options – agreed.

5 Chairman’s Matters
5.1 Framing of pictures – still on-going
5.2 Hastings Library – MB advised request for an event – passed to HICC, ECF
5.3 Curtains – still on-going
5.4 Wobbly Table – still on-going
5.5 Utilities – in process – Gas switching supplier, Electricity waiting, Water in credit.
5.6 Re-positioning of the meters (currently all in basement flat) – on-going
5.7 Championship Board – MB to investigate cost of renovation and up-dating – on-going
5.8 Change old mobile number as contact to Housekeeper land-line on the outside Board – done.
5.9 Council Tax – Period 01/01/18 to July 2018 request for reduction – on-going

6 Secs’ Reports and Correspondence – none

7 Treasurer Report on financial
7.1 Member renewals – JW gave an account of progress and any needing reminders.
7.2 Budget – nothing new
7.3 Insurance due for renewal – ‘contents’ was with ECF but now with building insurance.
7.4 Junior Chess/M Woodhams has submitted bill for £320 for last year – agreed.

8 Premises Officers and Housing Committee Report
8.1 Door Bell – now replaced by MB.
8.2 Outside Sign – now up.
8.3 MB has touched up chipped white paintwork.

9 Website – Domain payment paid.

10 Junior chess – MB reported Maidstone match, report in Hastings Observer.

11 Tournament Controllers Report – to include some Juniors in the Rush/Pelton
some minor readjustments will be made.

12 Captains Report
12.1  Kent  QP – JW reports Club won the final.
12.2  Mid Sussex – see Website
12.3  Kent – see Website

13 New members
T.Stock – Full Member – agreed
Juniors : A Lebedev, E Stacey, C Wickrameneyoke, T Wickrameneyoke, W Coble – agreed.

14 Time/date next meeting : Monday 17 December 2018, 1815, RA Rm, PH

15 Any other business
15.1 Possible P Buswell Rapid Play Day on 27 December – TBC

The meeting closed at 1906

Directors Meeting: 24/09/2018

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

Directors Meeting MINUTES
Monday 24th September 2018, 18.15, Richard Almond Room, Pelton House
Present: MBryant, ACload, KLucas, WPenfold, JWheeler [5]
and Members: PKelly, APenfold

1 Apologies for Absence: AHustwayte

2 Minutes of the meeting 13 August 2018 – accepted, signed by Chairman

3 Matters arising not already on the Agenda – none

4 Library – donation from Hollis Graham

5 Chairman’s Matters
5.1 Framing of pictures – still on-going
5.2 AGM – fine
5.3 Curtains – still to do
5.4 Wobbly Table – still to do
5.5 Utilities – still to do
5.6 Re-positioning of the meters (currently all in basement flat) – still to do
5.7 Championship Board – MB to investigate cost of renovation and up-dating-to do
5.8 Change old mobile number as contact to Housekeeper land-line on the outside board – to do

6 Secs’ Reports and Correspondence – nothing to report

7 Treasurer Report on financial
7.1 Member renewals – a member still owes part of last years subscription – must pay by end September or will cease to be a member – agreed
7.2 Budget – new sheet distributed, discussed

8 Premises Officers and Housing Committee Report – nothing to report
8.1 Housekeeper – Housekeepers Holiday – MB on holiday 25/10 to 29/10 – locking and unlocking to be arranged
8.2 Outside Sign – still to be arranged
8.3 Fire Extinguishers – AC advises some 10 years old and need replacing/refilling – agreed.
Need for Fire Alarms in addition to Smoke Alarms (already installed) – to be investigated.
8.4 Doorbell – to be replaced

9 Website – MB advises change of officers/committee to be done

10 Junior chess – MB reports 14 last week and more to come

11 Tournament Controllers Report – Winter Tournaments entry sheet displayed

12 Captains Report
12.1 Kent Summer QP – JW reports semi-final this Wednesday against Rainham
away
12.2 MB advises Kent Tournaments fixtures are done and awaiting Mid-Sussex League

13 New members:
J Worsley (Student Member) – agreed
D Hall (Full Member) – agreed

14 Time/date next meeting: Monday 05 November 2018 18.15 RA Room, PH

15 Any other business:
15.1 PK concerned about a blue washing-up bowl he donated to the Club – MB
advised still in the Club.

Meeting closed 1853

Annual General Meeting: 09/09/2018

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

AGM 09/09/18 1430 Pelton House
MINUTES

Present: ABarton, MBryant, BCafferty, ACload, RElliston, A Fletcher, U Jozwiak, PKelly, KLucas, RNorinkeviciute, APenfold, WPenfold, BRuarne, HTebbs, JWheeler, GWillson, MWoodhams [17]

1 Apologies for Absence : SBlewitt, KCarter, AHustwayte, KHossack, APickersgil, APontinutti, WStock, R.Smolski, OWillson

2 Announcement of any proxies : with WP AHustwayte, with BC KHossack, with MB RSmolski

3 One minute’s Silence for members who have died : including – RBourne, MDean, ELewis, McCague

4 Matters Arising not otherwise on the Agenda or reported : none

5 Approval AGM minutes 2017 – uncontested, signed by Chairman

6 Chairman’s Report Mr. Bryant : as written, distributed, no questions

7 Secretary’s Report – Mr K. Lucas : as written, distributed, no questions

8 Financial Report Treasurer – Mr. Wheeler
8.1 Report : as written, distributed, no questions
8.2 Accounts for the year to 30 June 2017 : as written, distributed, no questions
8.3 Adopt the Accounts : agreed uncontested, signed by Chairman, President
8.4 Appointment of examiner of the Accounts : PSmith – uncontested

Reports from other office-holders :

9 Premises Officer Mr Cload : as written, distributed. Q Chess Club Sign – sign ready to be put up

10 Junior Organizer Mr. Woodhams : numbers about 22/week, 4 in Sussex Juniors. Q (BCafferty) Local School
Chess – Primary a few, Secondary none. Q (GWillson) will MW continue – yes

11 Tournament Controller Ms Norinkeviciute : Submissions for changes to next AGM, need to accept Controllers Group selection. Suggestion for next AGM that winner Anslow automatic right to enter Championship.

12 Librarian – Mr. Cafferty : Not much activity, more shelving needed. Thanks to Mr Knot for donation.

13 Website manager – Mr. Bryant : as written, distributed, no questions

14 Match Captains
14.1 Mid Sussex League 1st team Mr Kelly : Won Mid-Sussex League, medals presented, photo for publication.
14.2 Mid Sussex League 2nd team Mr Bryant : Won the division, medals presented.
14.3 Mid Sussex League 3rd team MR Willson : as written, distributed, no questions
14.4 Mid Sussex league 4th team Mr Woodhams : Started well but relegated following Sussex University expulsion.
14.5 Mid Sussex AGM Report MR Willson Kelly Woodhams : Chairman/Housekeeper advises no Match closing time.
14.6 County Mr Kelly : lost in final
14.7 Stevenson Mr. Cload : as written, distributed, no questions
14.8 Harvey Mr Bryant : as written, distributed, no questions
14.9 EnPassant Mr Bryant : as written, distributed, no questions
14.10 Tom Fuller Mr Jozwiak : as written, distributed, no questions
14.11 Kent summer quick play Mr Wheeler : as written, distributed, no questions
14.12 Friendly matches Mr. Bryant : as written, distributed, no questions. Lost 6-11 to Wanstead&Woodford.

15 Representatives on Committee of the Hastings International Chess Congress -Mr Elliston

16 Delegates to Mid-Sussex Chess League – Messrs. Bryant, Kelly Woodhams Willson

17 Delegate to Sussex Chess Association – Mr. Elliston Delegate to Sussex Chess Association : AGM 25 September,
Lewes.

18 Vote of Thanks to Retiring Officers : given by RElliston

19 Election of Directors of the Company (i.e. Committee) : proposed AHustwayte, LSteuart – not contested
Directors also serve as Trustees of the registered charity
19.1 Chairman – MBryant explained possible conflict Chairman/Housekeeper and Committee setting up Housing
Sub-Committee. PKelly proposed AHustwayte and after much discussion this was dropped. MBryant proposed
by WPenfold/MWoodhams – vote 1 against, rest for.
19.2 Treasurer – JWheeler – uncontested
19.3 Secretary – Club – KLucas – uncontested, Company – JWheeler – uncontested
19.4 Premises Officer – ACload – uncontested
19.5 Junior Director – MWoodhams – uncontested

Election of other Officers and delegates:
19.7 Tournament Controller – R Norinkeviciute – uncontested
19.8 Membership Secretary – no nomination – MBryant to cover
19.9 Publicity/Press Officer – no nomination
19.10 Website Manager – MBryant – uncontested
19.11 Equipment Officer – no nomination – MBryant to cover
19.12 Representative on Committee of the Hastings International Chess Congress – APenfold – uncontested
19.13 Delegates to Mid-Sussex Chess League (has usually been the MSCL match captains ex officio) – uncontested
19.14 Delegate to Sussex Chess Association – RElliston – uncontested

20 Election Match Captains
Mid-Sussex League
20.1 1 team – PKelly did not wish to continue. TBA
20.2 2 team – MBryant – uncontested
20.3 3 team – MWoodhams – uncontested
20.4 4 team – GWillson – uncontested
Kent League teams: six divisions
20.5 open – PKelly did not wish to continue. TBA
20.6 Lewis 170 – none
20.7 Stevenson 155 – ACload – uncontested
20.8 En passant 140 – MBryant – uncontested
20.9 Harvey 125 – MBryant – uncontested
20.10 Tom Fuller 110 – UJozwiak – uncontested
20.11 Intro 95 – MWoodhams – uncontested
20.12 friendly matches – PKelly did not wish to continue. MWoodhams – uncontested

21 Membership Subscriptions and related matters – the Committee is not proposing any changes to the standard
rates – uncontested

22 Date of Annual General Meeting 2019 (to give any direction or guidance to the Committee that the AGM may see
fit). 2nd Sunday in September 2019

23 Any Other Business
23.1 Housing sub committee – Proposed : SBlewitt, BCafferty, ACload, JWheeler – uncontested
23.2 GW asked who will be 1st Team Captain – HTebbs agreed if MB could find no other – thanks to HTebbs.

24 Presentation of Trophies
24.1 Club Championship – John Sugden
24.2 Pelton Cup – Steve Blewitt
24.3 Rush Cup – Patrice Tournier
24.4 Anslow Cup (summer tourney) – PKelly
24.5 Bradley-Martin (summer tourney) – MFletcher
24.6 Winser Trophy (summer K.O.) – FRayner or MBryant
24.7 Dent Cup (summer K.O. Plate) TBA
24.8 Whyte Cup 2015) – BCafferty
24.9 Shadforth-Boger Trophy (merit in matches) to be announced
24.10 Starling Cup (10-minute) – PKelly
24.11 Isis and Roy Bourne trophy – John Sugden

Directors Meeting: 13/08/2018

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

MINUTES of the Directors Meeting 1815-1910
Monday 13 August 2018, Richard Almond Room, Pelton House

Present: MBryant, ACload, AHustwayte, PKelly, KLucas, WPenfold, LSteuart, JWheeler [8]
Member: APenfold

1 Apologies for Absence – none

2 Minutes of the meeting 2 July 2018 – agreed, signed/dated by Chairman

3 Matters arising not already on the Agenda – none

4 Library – nothing to report

5 Chairman’s Matters
5.1 Framing of pictures – on-going
5.2 AGM – a few reports still to come, everything ‘in-hand’, Nominations from the Committee, ‘Housing Sub-Committee’ MB to make proposal to AGM as Committee action to be ratified.
5.3 Curtains – on-going
5.4 Wobbly Table – on-going
5.5 Utilities – Gas and Electric up for renewal – MB to seek cheaper options – agreed.
MB to investigate cost of re-positioning of the meters (currently all in basement flat).

6 Secs’ Reports and Correspondence
Club – nothing to report
Company – nothing to report
MB read out letter re memorial/donation – MB to respond.

7 Treasurer Report on financial
7.1 Member renewals – still two members to complete payment
7.2 Budget – new sheet distributed/discussed

8 Premises Officers and Housing Committee Report
8.1 Housekeeper – resident from 08 August 2018
8.2 Outside Sign – to be arranged now Housekeeper available
8.3 ‘To Do’ – MB advised of work to be done in the building. Float of £150 agreed so MB can proceed.
8.4 Championship Board – MB to investigate cost of renovation and up-dating.

9 Website – nothing to report

10 Junior chess – nothing to report (closed for holidays)

11 Tournament Controllers Report – tournaments are ‘up and running’

12 Captains Report
12.1 Kent Summer QP – JW reports the team won all 4 group games and now in semi-final

13 New members
13.1 Paul de Buf – FM – agreed unanimous (grade ca. 170/180)
13.2 Peter Bedborough – FM – agreed but subscription to be paid ‘up-front’.

14 Time/date next meeting : Monday 24 September 2018, 1815, RA Room, PH

15 Any other business
15.1 MB will change the old mobile number as contact to Housekeeper land-line on the outside board.

Directors Meeting: 02/07/2018

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

Minutes: Directors Meeting

Monday 02 July 2018,  18.15,  Richard Almond Room, Pelton House

Present: MBryant, ACload, AHustwayte, KLucas, WPenfold, LSteuart, JWheeler [7]

Member: APenfold

1 Apologies for Absence : none

2 Michael Dean, Elisabeth Lewis : MB advised the Committee of the deaths of Michael and Elisabeth.  One minute silence observed.

3 Minutes of the meeting Tuesday 5th June  2018: agreed, signed/dated by Chairman.

4 Matters arising not already on the Agenda: none

5 Chairman’s Matters
5.1 Framing of pictures: on-going
5.2 AGM: Sunday 09 September 2018, 1430 (agreed).  Reports being prepared.  To MB by 08 August 2018.
5.3 Curtains: still to be done.
5.4 Wobbly Table: still to be done.

6 Secs’ Reports and Correspondence:
Company: nothing new
Club: KL advised several liaison requests received – passed to MB who is replying.

7 Treasurer Report on financial
7.1 Member renewals: still same two to complete payment.
7.2 Budget: nothing new.

8 Premises Officers and Housing Committee Report
8.1 Housekeeper: MB advised will be taking up residence 23 July 2018.
8.2 Outside Sign: awaiting MB in residence.

9 Website: continuing, more to be done

10 Junior chess: about 16/week, going very well, will end of school term.

11 Tournament Controllers Report: Summer Tournaments ‘up-and-running’.

12 Captains Report
12.1 Mid-Sussex: reps attended AGM, new time default – 65 mins + 30 secs/move

13 New members: JW advised interest from Dave who will attend Friday evening.

14 Library: nothing new

15 Time/date next meeting:

Monday 13 August 2018, 1815, RA room, PH

16 Any other business:
16.1 JW reports entry to Kent Summer Quick-Play, first game Wednesday.

Meeting closed 1833

Directors Meeting: 05/06/2018

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

MINUTES of the Directors Meeting Tuesday 05 June 2018 1815-1850

Present: M Bryant, A Cload, K Lucas, W Penfold, L Steuart, J Wheeler [6]
Member: A Penfold

1 Apologies for Absence: A Hustwayte

2 Minutes of the meeting Tuesday 05 June 2018 – agreed, signed by the Chairman.

3 Matters arising not already on the Agenda – none

4 Chairman’s Matters
4.1 Framing of pictures – on-going
4.2 Dordrecht’ – lost 86-61 but otherwise very successful
4.3 Curtains – still to do
4.4 New Data Protestation Reg – now law

5 Secs’ Reports and Correspondence
5.1 Company – JW advises now all up-to-date
5.2 Club – KL nothing to report

6 Treasurer Report on financial
6.1 Member renewals – 2 still owing
6.2 Budget – nothing new

7 Premises Officers and Housing Committee Report
7.1 Contract- MB read out proposed Housekeeper Contract – all agreed. AC/MB both signed, witnessed by Committee. Copy kept by MB and JW.
7.2 Housekeeper – MB started as from 01 June 2018, ‘half’ moved in.
7.3 Outside Sign – to be arranged to be put in-place when MB in the Club.

8 Website – continuing

9 Junior chess
9.1 Saturday mornings – suggestion to move to Saturday mornings was not agreed by MB, MW.

10 Tournament Controllers Report –
Championship won by John Sugden,
Pelton by Steve Blewitt/John Kimber,
Rush by Patrice Tournier.
QP continues to end of August.

11 Captains Report
11.1 Mid-Sussex – see WebSite. MB intends to attend AGM.
11.2 Kent- see WebSite
11.3 Friendlies- see WebSite. Lost 5-2 to Insurance.

12 New members :
Martin Fletcher – FM – agreed.

13 Library – nothing new.

14 Time/date next meeting:
Monday 02 July 2018, 1815, RA Rm, PH

15 Any other business
15.1 AGM deadlines – Written Reports in by 09 August.
15.2 A French Town requesting links – advised enough links already.
15.3 Kent Summer QP has been entered
15.4 Wobbly table downstairs – MB to investigate.

KEN

Directors Meeting: 23/04/2018

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

MINUTES of the Directors Meeting  Monday 23 APRIL
1809 – 1842

Present: M Bryant, A Cload, A Hustwayte, P Kelly, K Lucas, W Penfold, L Steuart, J Wheeler [8]   Member: A Penfold;

1 Apologies for Absence: none

2 Minutes of the meeting Monday 23 April 2018 – agreed, signed by the Chairman.

3 Matters arising not already on the Agenda – none

4 Chairman’s Matters
4.1 Framing of pictures – to be continued
4.2 Dordrecht’ – May 05, 21 visitors coming to play a 7 round/15 minutes+5 seconds tournament against HCC, MB to provide Buffet tea.
4.3 Club cleaning – now completed.
4.4 Child protection policy – copy of HCC  policy given to AH to assist in developing similar for another organisation.
4.5 Curtains – still investigating possible solutions.
4.6 New Data Protection Reg – All members sent Email advising needing permission to keep personal records – half have replied so far.

5 Secs’ Reports and Correspondence :
Club – KL nothing to report.
Company – JW annual return completed and sent.

6 Treasurer Report on financial
6.1 Member renewals : 3 remembers still to complete payments.
6.2 Budget : new sheet distributed – no questions.

7 Premises Officers and Housing Committee Report :
MB read out the Minutes of the first meeting explaining the procedure followed and its decision to appoint him as Housekeeper.  A further meeting will be arranged to determine Housekeeper contract.
7.1 Up-stairs flat – AC advises some minor repairs to be done.
7.2 Housekeeper – as above.
7.2 Gas Fire – MB advised not required.
7.3 Painting – MB advised he will do at cost materials only.
7.4 Outside Sign – AC advises soon to be done.

8 Website – on-going.

9 Junior chess – MB advises ‘up and running’.  Suggestion to move to Saturday morning – no decision made.

10 Tournament Controllers Report – MB advises Winter Tournaments coming to a close, Summer Tournaments entry to be posted soon.

11 Captains Report
11.1 Mid-Sussex – see Website.
11.2 Kent – see Website.

12 New members – none

13 Library – nothing to report.

14 Time/date next meeting: Tuesday 05 June 2018, 1815, RA room, Pelton House.

15 Any other business:
15.1 JW – Kent Summer Quick-Play entered.
15.2 PK – several chairs acquired.
15.3 AH – there will be a Congress again this year.

Sub-Committee First Meeting: 03/04/2018

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

MINUTES:-

At the full committee meeting of 12th March 2018 item 7.3 :-
house keeper: Notice asking Club Members (to 18 March).
The Committee decided to appoint a Sub-Committee to make the decisions as some members of the Committee have an interest.

Sub-Committee: ACload, JWheeler, SBlewitt, BCafferty (if agrees).

First meeting of Sub Committee for use of Upper Flat, Tuesday 3rd April 2018. 18.00hrs  R. Almond Rm, Pelton House

Present: A. Cload, J.Wheeler, B.Cafferty, S. Blewitt

  1. The first role of the Sub committee is to appoint a new housekeeper for the upper flat as agreed at committee meeting. Two applicants have applied for the post, M.Bryant and P.Kelly
  2. Both applicants were invited to attend for interview. P.Kelly was interviewed first
  3. PK interview at 18.15hrs. PK said he was interested in the flat and would share the work with a Mr A. Goss from London and had some requirements for the flat including a new toilet, carpet and painting
  4. MB was interviewed at 18.25hrs. MB had provided an application letter and said he realised there would be a conflict of interest as chairman but the sub committee had been formed to avoid any conflict. MB said he was keen to keep the club clean and help set up with matches and special occasions, opening and locking although sometimes the club would be unlocked earlier than 1pm due to other work commitments. MB said he didn’t need a lot doing to the flat apart from a new lock and light by the door and the toilet has a leak.
  5. The Sub Committee discussed the applications and took a vote which was carried 4-0 in favour of M. Bryant
  6. Both applicants were informed of the decision at the end of the meeting. MB agreed a date of 1st June 2018 to start the role. A contract to be drawn up and agreed by both parties.