Directors Meeting: 19/09/2016

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

Minutes of the Directors Meeting: Monday 19 September 2016, 1815, Pelton House, Richard Almond Room
Present: Marc Bryant, Adrian Cload, Derek Harvey, Ken Lucas, Bill Penfold, Lona Steuart, Jim Wheeler, Mason Woodhams [8]

The Chairman opened the Meeting at 1815

1 Apologies for Absence:  Jeremy Hudson

2 Minutes of the Meeting of 08 August 2016 (previously circulated) – accepted, signed by the Chairman.

3 Matters arising not already on the agenda.
3.1 Ken Lucas voted onto the Committee.

4 Library
4.1 DH donated 4 books.

5 Chairman’s matters
5.1 Match sets – discussion on the purchase of two further match sets – further Agenda.
5.2 Weekend Tournament – this weekend, 13 entries, predicted £80 loss.
5.3 New Chairs – previous source ceased trading, MB to seek suitable replacements – agreed.
5.4 Framing of pictures – to do.
5.5 Curtains rehanging – to do, some repair required.
5.6 Sale of old mags on e-bay – in-hand.
5.7 Remove and repair of sign – AC to arrange taking down.
5.8 Arjun letter – MB read out congratulatory letter sent on behalf of the Club.
5.9 AGM posts – DH to take over as Company Secretary after consultation with PB.  KL to continue as Minute Secretary.
5.10 Directors and Trustees – MB to update and add DH, AC, KL – forms handed out for completion/return MB.
5.11 Bethune – MB to ask PB if interested in organizing the visit of Bethune to Hastings.

6. Sec’s reports  and correspondence – DH nothing to report.

7 Treasurer report on financial
7.1  Membership renewals – JW reported several already received.
7.2  Budget – JW to include Bethune in budget.

8 Premises officer’s report
8.1  Upstairs Conservatory – AC reports ‘falling down’, work will need to be done.  MB recommended £1500 ‘ring-fenced’ in each year budget until funds permit complete repair or rate of decay requires more urgent action – agreed.
8.2 Fire extinguishers need checking/servicing, fire alarm check and authorised shut-off sorted
– agreed AC to go ahead.
8.3 Gas fires need checking/servicing – agreed AC to go ahead.
8.4 MB reported flood in kitchen and considerable work done to obtain parts, repair and clean-up.  £10 gratuity given in gratitude and for personal inconvenience.

9 Website – MW advised domain rent £100 due – agreed.  Further improvements of Website will be done when time permits.

10  Junior chess – MW reported ‘ticking over nicely’ ~10/week , Delaney Challenge national problems
(VAT – MB/MW/Juniors to write to MP to advise on ‘unfair VAT practices), mason jars purchased to avoid spillage, current teaching including an interesting puzzle.

11 Tournament controller – MB advised Winter Tournament entry list up.

12  Captains – MB/AC going to Kent League fixture meeting. Junior Tournament entry – after some discussion agreed not this year.

13 Membership
13.1 New Members – John Kimber (FM) – agreed.

14 Time/date next meeting: Monday 24 October 2016, at 1815. Richard Almond Room, Pelton House.

15 Any other business
15.1 Offer of Chess Computer (~£400) in exchange for one year FM subscription – agreed.