Directors Meeting: 20/06/2016


Minutes of the Directors Meeting: Monday 20 June 2016

Present: Marc Bryant, Adrian Cload, Bill Penfold, Lona Steuart, Jim Wheeler [5]
In Attendance: Ken Lucas (Minutes), Bernard Cafferty (McArthur Cup Report)

The Chairman opened the Meeting at 1815
1 Apologies for Absence: JH

2 Minutes of the Meeting of 09 May 2016 (previously circulated) – accepted, signed by the Chairman.

3 Matters arising not already on the agenda – none
The Chairman directed the meeting to Agenda Item 12.1
12.1 McArthur Cup – BC reported ‘difficulties’ in fixing a date with Horsham, 4 different and helpful dates had been turned down. In view of the history in arranging fixtures in past years BC recommended non-entry in future and would resign as match captain. With regard to the 2016 fixture: McArthur Cup Final, Hastings v Horsham, the Committee fully supported any action BC decided to take.

4 Library – BC reported donations.
MB suggested : the OUT book in the lower room to sign books out as previous, an IN book in the kitchen beside the Computer where the returned book should be signed in and left – agreed. MB advised reminders sent, more to do, 10 books now recovered. MB suggested sale of old, duplicate magazines on E-bay – agreed.

5 Chairman’s matters
5.1 C. Power – Mrs Power had donated Chess books, MB suggested sending her flowers at Christmas – agreed.
5.2 Weekend Tournament : only 8 entered, only PK from Club.
5.3 Roy – MB suggested that teas should be served in the kitchen when more than one or two present and after consultation with Roy – agreed.
5.4 Framing of pictures : more done, more to be done. A further £30 agreed. Picture of Con suggested – agreed.

6 Secretary’s report and correspondence : MB reported no correspondence.

7 Treasurer’s report and financial
7.1 Membership renewals : JW advised waiting on 3 members to complete their subscription.
7.2 Budget : nothing new.

8 Premises officer’s report
8.1 P. Kelly’s resignation – Confidential
8.2 Scaffolding estimate – MB advised £800-1200, for 8/9 weeks. MB suggested this was necessary to remove and repair the sign – agreed.
8.3 Curtains rehanging : MB will do.

9 Website : nothing

10 Junior chess : nothing

11 Tournament controller : MB advised Summer Tournament up and running and with a schedule.
New Tournament Results Book.

12 Captains
12.1 see earlier minute

13 Membership
13.1 New Members : none

14 Time/date next meeting : Monday 18 July 2016, 1815, Richard Almond Room, Pelton House.
AGM Sunday 04 September 2016, @ 1400. Deadlines: KL to Email members, MB to put up notices and advise non-Email members. Proposed business by 07 August, written reports by 31 July.

Break 1900-1910

15 Any other business :
15.1 Match sets – after some discussion MB will investigate (possible £150/set, £900 for match set of 6)
15.2 MSL AGM – MB advised tomorrow but as Train Strike unable to attend.
15.3 Julie Denning – to attend AGM to talk about ECF – agreed.
15.4 Roy Webb initiative – regular Wednesday afternoon social chess gathering and to include Bexhill Chess Club members – the Committee wholeheartedly approve. Possible fees for non-Club members – next agenda
15.5 Air Conditioning – after some discussion and concern about noise it was agreed for MB to investigate and purchase two free-standing fans.
15.6 Bethune visit to Hastings 2016/17 season – AGM agenda.

The Meeting closed at 1918.