Directors Meeting: 24/03/2015

HASTINGS & ST LEONARDS CHESS CLUB LTD

Minutes of the Directors’ Meeting: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 1830, Pelton House, Richard Almond Room

Present: Marc Bryant, Jeremy Hudson, Paul Kelly, Bill Penfold, Con Power, Lona Steuart, Jim Wheeler [7]

In Attendance: Paul Buswell (acting Secretary), Ken Lucas (Minutes)

The Chairman opened the Meeting at 1823

1 Apologies for Absence: Steve Blewitt

2 Minutes of the Meeting of Monday 23 February 2015 (previously circulated) – accepted, signed by the Chairman.

3 Matters arising not already on the agenda
3.1 Museums display JH – October Agenda
3.2 Live chess match CP – ‘in hand’, no date yet fixed
3.3 Bethune PB – unclear, dates not fixed, awaiting response from Bethune
3.4 Richard Almond photo BP – photo lost, MB to re-send

4 Time/date next meeting: Tuesday 05 May 2015, 1830, Pelton House, Richard Almond Room

5 Chairman’s matters
5.1 Door lock – working, nfa
5.2 New Secretary MB – No expression of interest.
5.3 Trophy replicas MB – on order, MB to collect from Wisdoms

6 Secretary’s report and correspondence
6.1 New wording for proxies AGM PB – next Agenda

7 Treasurer’s report and financial
7.1 Budget 2015/2016 – (sheet distributed last meeting, updated sheet distributed)
Questions: JW – Broadband excess £59.80, now costing about £450/year, suggest cease use.
MB to investigate cheaper alternatives. KL to Email members requesting thoughts/opinions.
JW reported Council Tax £759/year. PK considered gas use in basement flat at £250 was low
– MB to investigate cost of internal meter to ascertain actual usage higher or lower.
PB asked about budget for housekeeper honorarium being lower than last year. To budget as last year – Vote: 4 for, 1 against. PB to contact Mark Finch re auditing accounts.
MB enquired about the £150 donation – advised Grimstead, Bethune – advised every two years and costing only when hosted. JH commented that Tournament costs not in budget.
To approve budget – Vote: unanimous.
7.2 To approve zero accounts of Limited Company – Vote: unanimous.

8 Premises officer’s report
8.1 Seals for fire door PK – ‘man to do’ now unwilling – next Agenda

Break 1903-1913

8.2 Metal front door strip PK – step replaced (very good), quote requested for further work. LS asked if all the steps could be as the new step.
8.4 Down stairs lock – MB reports working OK now.

9 Junior chess
9.1 Junior education fund PB – sponsorship from Congress dependent on HBC grant. Hastings Chess Club to take over the Junior Education Fund (ring-fenced for Junior use), proposed PK, seconded BP.
Vote: 5 for, 0 against.
9.2 Junior club PK – numbers very good (~14/week)

10 Tournament controller
10.1 Report on winter tournaments MB (obo RN) reported some confusion over Kia, now sorted.
10.2 Summer Tournament – MB to seek Summer Tournament Controller/Organiser

11 Captains
11.1 Mid Sussex League – 1st Team (PK) – draw with Horsham 2, Worthing away to be played.
2nd Team (MB) – danger of relegation!
3rd Team – last nights match reported.
4th Team – none played.
11.2 Kent League – Intro team (MB) – lost 3-1 to Medway. 1st Team beat Tunbridge Wells 5-1, now in final 10 May.
11.3 McArthur cup – Final 23 May.
11.4 Friendlies – (PB) – v Insurance 25 April, v Bexhill