Mid Sussex Chess League Online Team Competition Rules 2021
N.B. These rules do not seek to cover all eventualities, or provide specific sanctions for rule-breaking. It is expected that most issues that arise can be amicably resolved between teams, but in case of doubt, captains should refer to the tournament controller.
- There will be adult and junior divisions, with the number of divisions dependent on entries.
- Teams of 4 players. A club may enter as many teams as they like. No player may play for more than one team in the competition (this is to avoid complications around nominations and eligibility). No grading limit, but teams should play in reasonable order of strength.
- Fixtures will be at approximately 3-weekly intervals from late June to mid-September, dependent on entries for each division.
- One game per pairing, 25 minutes each plus a 10 second increment
- Matches to be played at 7.30pm on a Wednesday for senior divisions, and 6.30pm for junior divisions. Captains may vary the time and / or date of a fixture by mutual agreement, up to (+/-) three days
- The winner of each division will be decided by match points, with game points acting as any tie-break.
- Platform will be Lichess:
- The service is free and it is simple for individuals to register and use
- While Lichess is setup principally for individual competitions, the ECF LMS system has been given a number of enhancements which enables it to integrate reasonably well with Lichess (for example identification of Lichess user names, and the ability to virtually “swap team sheets” an hour before each match). Match results will be recorded on LMS in the same way that we have used LMS for other MSCL competitions
- Playing rules will follow standard online conventions. Players that lose connection may lose on time, and “mouse slips” are treated in the same way as touch and move – Magnus Carlsen himself has lost like this in a Grandmaster tournament
- If an opponent does not give / accept a challenge within 5 minutes of the start time, the player present online should advise their team captain, who should then contact the opposing captain. If the absent player cannot be contacted a substitute may be provided, but should be available for challenge within 15 mins of the original start time, otherwise the game will be defaulted
- While Lichess has user names that are anonymous, the LMS result will show both real names and user names. Parents may prefer for safeguarding reasons for juniors to disable the chat function within Lichess.
Fair Play: It is a requirement of Lichess (as of normal chess) that players should not use any external assistance, whether through books, computers or other people. Lichess has detection software that can result in players being banned, which will in turn result in that player’s games being recorded as losses. The MSCL online league will rely on this software; we do not have the capability / capacity to effectively conduct our own testing or to consider appeals. Ultimately, we are running a friendly league and rely on the honour of our players
It has recently been reported and confirmed in the passing of Ken Lucas
Ken has been a member of the club since the late seventies and in that time and held posts On the International Congress Committee and as club Secretary a job he did wonderfully this was probably because of his profession as a primary school deputy head At All Saints school ken also enjoyed opera and playing in weekend congresses
Although not active in the club in the last few years as he devoted more time to his family, he had remained a member am sure that the membership and myself wish to offer their condolences to Kens family
Marc A Bryant
Following the government’s announcement of the lifting of some restrictions on May 17 the club will now partially reopen any member wishing to visit the club should do so on request to the chairman 01424436313 Email email@example.com as legally we are still restricted to six people from two households therefore the club will remain locked unless there is a request to open it is hoped that the club will fully reopen on June 21 following the final lifting of restrictions
Marc A Bryant
It is with much sadness that I have to report the passing of William Stock
Bill as he was known had been a Kent and Rainham player for many years before moving to Hastings and was well known on the chess circuit although Bill could not be described as a strong player he was extremely solid at his own level and was hard to beat
On behalf of the club and myself I would like to extend my sympathies to Bills family
Marc A Bryant
Hastings and St leonards Chess Club
|Pelton Cup 2019/2020||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
CAPLIN HASTINGS ALL-PLAY-ALL 0N-LINE TOURNAMENT
The Caplin Hastings On-line 11 round all-play-all tournament will take place on Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th January 2021 with a first prize of £1,200.
The fine list of players represents England’s leading grandmasters and masters :
GM Michael Adams, GM David Howell, GM Luke McShane, GM Gawain Jones. GM Nick Pert, IM Ameet Ghasi, GM Danny Gormally, GM Mark Hebden, GM Glenn Flear, GM Keith Arkell. Two qualifying places were offered to the Caplin British Championships and these went to IM Matthew Wadsworth and GM Matthew Turner who finished 3rd and 4th in the Championships.
Play will start at 13.00hrs each day with 6 rounds played on Saturday and 5 rounds on Sunday – This will be a rapid-play format (15 min+10sec. per player per round).
The commentary will be provided by the entertaining team GM Simon Williams and IM and WGM several times British Women’s Chess Champion Jovanka Houska.
Access to the commentary via Twitch.tv/gingergm
All games will be broadcast live at Chess 24 (with the GingerGM commentary) or Chessbomb.
Ongoing results will be updated here.
This promises to be an entertaining contest in the long tradition of Hastings Chess. The sponsor, Caplin Systems, is a fintech specialist in e-trading technology so this seems a very appropriate link between the sponsor and the event. Caplin has open positions in a number of departments and people seeking a career change are encouraged to look at www.caplin.com/business/careers.
Further information including will appear on the Hastings website hastingschess.com and for further information contact Pam Thomas firstname.lastname@example.org 07817 446070 or |Marc Bryant 01424 436313
All members please note
Once again due to government restrictions and Hastings being putted into tier three of them government restrictions
the chess club is now fully closed to be compliant with government restrictions once we come out of Tier three we will review the situation
Marc A Bryant